Friday, May 7, 2010

Cupcakes - A first!!

On Tuesday, I gave my first go at icing cupcakes. It was rather exciting. Although I have something to confess,


They were made from ready-made cupcake mix. Sorry. This is supposed to be a food blog, promoting fresh ingredients, fresh flavours etc. Sorry. But I have a little pitiful excuse. Time. They were for the trade fair the next day and tennis + piano meant that I started baking at 8 and with that stack of homework glaring at me from behind.


So now it’s the Friday after mini-assessment week and the prospect of a whole weekend without having to worry about well, anything really, is quite liberating. I want to try Deb from the Smitten Kitchen’s recipe for apple cake or Mowielicious’ apple pancakes. Or maybe just plain buttermilk pancakes tomorrow morning. The first two sound delish but we’ve just run out of apples! Saturday is grocery day though, and hopefully I’ll be bringing home a cardboard box for the macro light box here:


http://www.strobist.blogspot.com/2006/07/how-to-diy-10-macro-photo-studio.html


But the cupcakes.


The icing was quite thick, and I just used a butterknife to kind of smother it on. I learnt that if I put to much icing on, it would just come off onto my knife in big chunks. I learnt to be firm and spread around and not downwards from the tip. Or was it the other way around? It seems ions ago now.


I painstakingly tried to decorate it with the coloured chocolate (that simply wouldn’t stick - they would roll off unless I pressed them directly into the icing) so that it would form “Ff” for the initials of our pretend “business” but they just ended up looking weirdly sprinkled. It was a pretty childish attempt what I don’t mind. A person has to start from somewhere right?


ack, images refuse to be uploaded from my flickr.


goodnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment